1. Mama Royales. Its hip, its cool, the line is long. This seems to be a theme for all my fave restaurants. Darn urban area.
2. The Coffee Mill . This is no frill fare people. You aren’t going to get a pureed cauliflower with organic, free-range, smoked apple sausage frittata…but you will get fast service, cheap hot food, hash browns and regular sightings of city councilman De La Fuente strutting around in his cowboy boots.
3. Buttercup Grill. Actually learned of the place through family members who stayed at the next door Inn. Super friendly. Lots of options. Tasty.
4. Arizmendi. This isn’t “breakfast” per se, but its typically the way I eat in the morning. A warm morning bread and hot coffee. Cheese bun? Chocolate Thing? Cranberry muffin? All made that morning by hotty hippies (or hipsters or whatever – they work at a co-op!). Maybe my favorite place in all of Oakland.
5. Rico’s. There are practically no – zero – zip – places for a morning meeting with colleagues in downtown Oakland that is not the Mariott (and $20 per person for breakfast) until I found Rico’s. It’s cheap. It’s QUALITY. They have french toast STICKS. Yum. They do need more than 1 sugar dispenser…but I think they will get it.