1. Le Cheval - Not the swankiest place in town unless you count running into Jerry Brown and lots of cops, it is definitely the place to see Oakland. Shrimp rolls, watercress salad w/ tofu, green beans w/garlic, cube beef steak, whole saigon fish! – my mouth is watering – its always so good! Anytime, everytime.
2. JoJo – Best datenight place, especially if you can get the window seats. Menu is not huge, but always tasty. Feels like home. My pick for special occassions.
3. Tamarindo – Sometimes I order things even though they are way too spicy for my whitey palette, but if you have time to wait, and margaritas are your thing, its so cute and everything is precise and delicious!
4. Bellanico – Best new place in Oakland. Affordable and good! Therefore…lots of waiting…which can be a drag, but they will reserve for 6 or more, so get your folks together and celebrate something. Or eat at the bar with a buddy.
5. Mijori – Best sushi in Oakland, only if you eat it there. Won’t get to-go anymore. Always got a line, but its worth it. Nice homey feel, fast service, good fish, neighborhood faces. Used to go here at least once a week, had to cut back, but still my favorite standbye.
Best spots for breakfast and burgers next….